A few weeks ago, I came across a monthly challenge hosted by DCWV (Die Cuts with a View). I love challenges because they often give me that extra little push to get a layout or card finished, and often even challenge me to try something new!
In this case, I have had a layout sitting partially finished for over a year now! Actually, if I’m being completely honest, “partially” is a bit of an overstatement. The truth is that I had my paper pack chosen, my pictures mounted on white paper, and…well…that was about it! Since the paper I had picked out was the super bright and cheerful Cotton Bloom Stack from DCWV, I used this as the little (???) kick in the rear that I needed!
So I grabbed the sketch that was provided for the challenge, and went for it! Although the sketch was great as is, I decided to have a little fun and try turning it 90 degree clockwise! It actually worked a bit better with my pictures (the emphasis changed a bit), to I stuck with it! This is actually a great tip if you are working with a sketch that just doesn’t quite fit for the project you are working on – try rotating or even flipping it and see what happens! It took my brain a few minutes to comprehend where all the embellishments would be, but the fun thing about sketches is that anything goes – they really are just designed to be an inspirtation, not necessarily a specific map that cannot be changed or altered!
So with the help of some buttons, the Flower Shoppe Cricut cartridge, some Trendy Twine in Kraft, and my handy-dandy- scissors for some fun fussy cutting (need some tips and tricks for handling fussy cutting??? Have I got a post for you!), One+Sun=Fun was created!
Now, it kind of feels like a layout isn’t complete right now unless there is a little hidden element somewhere in there, so let’s see if you can spot the difference:
Oh wait, I’m not quite finished:
So, a little hidden spot to place some jounraling and an extra hidden tab for another picture and I was ready to clean up my scrappy space…just remember, clean is in the eye of the beholder!! ;) My goal was to try to create as much dimension as possible without having the elements stick up, and I think it was pretty successful!! Oh, and I think I finally understand why banners seem to be all the rage right now – what an easy way to use up scraps and tie all of the colours together on your layout! I think I see more banners in my future!