Before I started scrapbooking and chatting with crafters all over the world, I had no idea there were so many owl fans! I agree that there is something endearing about these little creatures, and their cute sound is full of sentiment potential! So this month, in honour of all of my CropChocolate friends who are fans of owls, I decided to team up owls and chocolate! Oh, and few hearts too!
- 1 candy bar (Ritter Sport used in this project)
- 1 piece of plain colored cardstock for body
- Scraps of black and white cardstock for eyes
- At least 1 piece of patterned cardstock for feathers / beak / feet
- Blue Owl – MME Good Day Sunshine collection
- Pink Owl – MME Quite Contrary
1. Cut a piece of cardstock that is 4″ high by 9 1/8″ long. If you are using a different candy bar, measure the wrapper to determine the height and length you will need to cover your bar (see video for description of included measurements)
2. On the front, top edge of your wrapper (the widest section), cut out a half moon shape that runs from one side to the other. This will give your wrapper an “owl shaped” head.
3. On the same top edge, find the middle and measure down about 1/4″.
4. Press the front section down so that it lines up with the back section and punch a hole at the marked location, making sure the hole goes through both sections.
5. Measure out a piece of ribbon that is 4X the height of your wrapper. If you are using a Ritter Sport bar, your ribbon would need to be 12″ in length.
6. Thread the ribbon from the front section through to the back section. Center the ribbon so there are equal amounts sticking out the front and the back.
7. Place your candy bar in the wrapper, pushing the ribbon down as you insert it into the wrapper. Tie a bow at the top. Your candy bar should now slide up and down into the wrapper when you pull up on the ribbon.
1. Cut out at least 15 1/2″ hearts. Apply the hearts upside down with adhesive starting at the bottom edge of the wrapper and working your way up - 3 rows of 5 hearts. Adjust according to your candy bar dimensions.
2. Cut out 2 hearts that are at least 2″ in height. Apply upside down on the side edges of your wrapper for wings.
3. Cut out 2 – 1″ hearts and attach to the bottom edge for feet.
4. Cut out 1 – 1/2″ heart and attach as a beak.
5. Using overlapping circles, cut out eyes and adhere to wrapper.
6. If desired, add a message to the back of the wrapper.